1895-1903: Firm Footing
Husted’s Directory consistently lists the mission at 378-9th Street. The 1889 Sanborn Map identifies this location
on the corner of 9th Street and Franklin Street. The
church has now moved closer to the business area of the city. The
corner was again pasted over. In this case though, the church was
at this location at the end of the map book period; so the layout shown
represents the church as it was.
period that the church was located here, the Block Book
lists several owners: Regina & Sigmund Beck (1895), Hon. G. Henshaw
(1896-1902), and finally Union Savings Bank (1903). So it is
assumed that the church only a tenant at this location.
Husted’s Directory has two different addresses for the church. A Chinese Mission School (Methodist) is
listed at 378-9th Street (the 1906 directory lists it as 368-9th
Street), while the Chinese Mission is listed as 309-8th
Street. It is not clear whether these
separate buildings or just a clerical error.