|1880-1890: On their Own
the faithfulness of a few private members of the church came forward to
pay for a teacher, the rent for their school-rooms, and all the
furnishings. A lot was leased for 10 years with the intent to put
a "comfortable chapel or mission house" on it. The house
contained a small audience room, dining room, kitchen, sleeping rooms
and served as a home for homeless Christians when out of employment.
earliest recorded address for the Methodist Chinese Mission is at
612-15th Street, listed in Bishop's Oakland Directory
for 1880-1881. This listing continues in Oakland City Directories
1885 and then reappears in the 1889-1890 Directory.
Street address for the mission is listed in the City of Oakland Tax
Block Book for 1881-1882. The lot was owned by a Ms. Catherine
(Cath) Danahie. Below her name is written "[illegible] to
Chinese Mission Church." Similar notations in the Block Books
continue through 1889, which fills in the blank left by the City
Directories. After 1889, the lot changes ownership and the church
is no longer listed at this location.
Sanborn Insurance Map for this address also shows the lot listed under
Chinese Mission School.
Directory - 1880-1881
City of Oakland Tax
Assessment Block Book, 1881-1882
Courtesy of Oakland Public Library