|1875-1879: Getting Started
Oakland church started as a Sunday
School held in the First Methodist
Church which was at that time was located at the corner of Fourteenth
and Clay Street [RMECM-1881].
at 14th and Clay Streets was almost brand new at the time. In
1874, the First Methodist Epicsocpal Church was originally located at
the corner of 9th and Washington, but decided to build a new church
building and sold theirs to the growing German Methodist Episcopal
just below what appears to
be the main sanctuary is a portion of the building labeled "Class
RM." This could be where the Sunday School and Evening
classes were held.